Day 14
I'll be totally honest: this post will be short and boring. I went to market today (Thursday is always market day) and by market I mean the scenic overlooks of Ccorao. No seriously, we set up all our little wares and before long, tourist buses pull up to take pictures of the valley and we try to sell them stuff. My favorite part of the day was when someone thought I was Peruvian and was talking to me in Spanish even though I was speaking PERFECT English to them. Yeah, they were pretty blown away when I told them I'm from Seattle. (I'm sure the perfect English all clicked into place then...)
Anyway, I walked up and down the three scenic outlooks translating words into English. It was the same words too because all the women sell the same things. And the girl I was with (Maria) was advocating my "English lessons" like crazy. I might have some huge classes next week.
One interesting thing, one of the men selling stuff didn't want me to translate anything. He said he didn't need to know English to sell stuff and the sad part is that he's pretty much right. English really isn't useful unless you know it really well. I feel bad saying that because I want to pretend that teaching these women 20 sentences and their numbers are going to make a big difference, but I don't know if it really will.
Anyway, there were a ton of tourists from everywhere! Japan, Spain, France, Belgium, Australia, the US. And this was all within two hours or so. I've also noticed that tourists really like taking pictures of cute kids with llamas. That's the big draw...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home