Day 2
As with most tourist centers Cusco has a plethora of little children trying to simultaneously sell useless products and pickpocket you. Today I came across two such children in front of the market. In almost perfect English two seven-year-old girls asked where I was from. I responded by asking them where THEY were from in Spanish. They responded, “Peru” so I told them “Los Estados Unidos.” At this, they sprung straight into a well-rehearsed speech, “United States. Capital Washington, DC. President George Bush.” They then proceeded to name off every state and its capital city. They can do the same for Canada, and I suspect Europe as well.
I’m fairly certain that there are people in high school, college, and beyond who can’t name as many state capitals as these two girls.
I alternate between being irritated by the number of people who try to cheat money off of me each day, and the feeling of pity for the situations that force these actions. I wonder what the best solution and have yet to come up with any.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home