Peruvian Adventure

My personal (and random) thoughts prior to and during my one month internship in Cusco, Peru.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Day 27

This morning I had interviews with women at Aldea Infantil at 7:30am before work. Unfortunately I set my clock wrong and instead arrived at 6:30am completely confused as to why there weren't any people there. I ended up waiting for an hour but it was totally worth it! The women that I interviewed had so much to share about the abuses against kids in Peru, specifically in Cusco. I actually ran out of tape and battery because they kept divulging more and more info. I've planned some follow-up interviews for the next couple of days. I talked to the director and she told me the saddest stories about two sisters (4 and 6) who witnessed their mother killed by their father. I think he's in jail now.

Anyway, I ended up going to work in Ccorao starving so the women offered to make me some eggs and potatoes. We all ate together and it was really nice, except one potato I peeled had a dead maggot in it. I "accidentally" dropped it on the floor so I wouldn't have to eat it. :)

I held my final English class (which had the highest attendance yet!) We learned a very basic English conversation and key phrases in English. I think this was my favorite class because I actually could ask them questions in English and they could respond correctly instead of just repeating what I was saying. Their pronounciation is so much better too. I think it really helped to drill the alphabet a million times. I recorded my voice saying all the sentences and phrases that I've taught and left it at the workshop so that they can practice after I'm gone. What a weird thought...after I'm gone.

I had my "Exit Interview" with Lindsey today. I can't believe that I'm leaving in just four days. This month completely flew by and I just felt like I was getting started. People keep asking me when I'm going to come back and the reality is I just don't know. In a way, it's a little more sad than when I left Beijing because I know I'll be going back to China. I guess all good things have to come to an end at some point. I just wish I had one more week...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home