Peruvian Adventure

My personal (and random) thoughts prior to and during my one month internship in Cusco, Peru.

Friday, July 28, 2006

Day 28

Today was my final day in Ccorao. I arrived to watch the students at the Artesan Workshop march in the independence day parade and wasn't planning on participating, but when I got there, everyone was all in a fit about how excited they were to have me lead the procession. WHAT?!

Yeah, so I arrived and Victoria says, "We want you to hold the sign for us!" I didn't think it would be a big deal, but then they pulled out this crazy outfit that they wanted me to wear. It's a native Quechuan outfit. I'm not kidding. There was a red vest with blue lining and neon colored piping. And two skirts and these black sandals that all the women wear. Can you believe my luck?! I also got to wear a hat that looked like a cookie tin, but made out of fabric.

So they dress me up and braid my hair and everyone else is wearing gray and blue suits and looking quite smart...and I look like one of Santa's happy little elves! It gets better.

So everyone has been practicing marching all week. Obviously I haven't because I didn't think I would need to. So they run me through a crash course on marching. And when I say "marching" I really mean goose-stepping. Yeah. So two hours and one picture with two alpaca later, I find myself literally goose-stepping by myself 20 feet in front of the students down a field. It was one of the more surreal moments I've had here. They even said my name over the loudspeaker. Weirdest day ever.

Besides all that, I took pictures with all the students, staff, and women I work with.

And as I sat on the bus riding away, I felt so sad I thought I would cry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home