Peruvian Adventure

My personal (and random) thoughts prior to and during my one month internship in Cusco, Peru.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Day 6

Today I rode the bus all by myself! I woke up early to get to Ccorao by 8:30am to teach my English class. Well it turns out that I was the only one actually in time for my class, but I got to start at 10:00am instead and still taught for an hour and a half. I had about 10-12 “students” and we managed to learn six sentences. It was a painstakingly slow process that consisted of me repeating words, then sentences, then walking around to each person individually and repeating the words and sentences with them. On the upside, we got to hold class outside on the sunny lawn, which kept me from freezing. I also got to videotape a lot of the women’s activities as well as do some of my own testimonials. I don’t really like doing them, but it will help me remember the context of my situation a month from now. And no, they’re not dramatic. They’re just informative.

I left Ccorao around 12:00am and was lucky enough to get a seat on the bus back to Cusco, so I was able to read for about 30 minutes. I found “Wild Swans” in the Casa ProPeru library and am hoping to finish it before I leave. It’s a pretty big book so I’ll probably stop doing social activities at night. Not that I really did any before anyway.

I have a lot more new sentences to translate to English. Tomorrow I am going to the tourist marketplace to see how Caritas can improve interaction and marketing. I’m looking forward to actually interviewing tourists because that will help us decide what direction to go in.

I’ve made some new friends—ProPeru volunteers from last month who are still here. Every time I introduce myself, they say, “Oh! We’ve heard about you!” Apparently I’m known as “that girl with the crazy schedule”. Isn’t that funny? Off to my second Spanish class!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home