Day 9 & 10
So I spent a good weekend exploring various Incan ruins around Cusco. Of the three we visited, my favorite was Pisac. The structures there are original, well-preserved, and beautiful. I also found them more interesting than Ollantaytambo or Sacsayhauman. Pisac has two very distinct zones: urban and agricultural. It is pretty amazing that the Incans dragged such huge stones from the mountain on the opposite side of the valley to build their towns. The architecture is also quite ingenious. Not only are the stones made to fit together perfectly (seriously the joints are flawless), but the structures were made to withstand earthquakes as well. I can’t even imagine that precision.
When I think about the works of ancient civilizations, I can’t help but be amazed at the size, scale, and thought that went into planning. From the Acropolis in Greece, to pyramids in Egypt and Latin America, Incan cities in Peru, the Great Wall of China…it’s mind-blowing to see what human nature accomplished without the use of machines. These ancient people sacrificed great time, effort, and even life to create things that have lasted centuries. I guess that’s a type of immortality within itself. When I think of modern society, I realize how good the human race has become at breaking things down into parts and destroying things. A sad comparison.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home